Tuesday, December 01, 2009

The future, in the palm of my hand (no, this is not a post about iPhones...)

Those of you that know me well know that, despite growing up near Glastonbury, I don't subscribe to the 'hokey pokey' science of astrology. Ask me my star sign and I'll answer "Marmite", and if I've a dominating earth element I'd bet it's chocolate, so I'm the last person I expected to get my palm read during my stay in Jodphur.

Maybe it was because I'm expecting 2010 to be a year of change or maybe it was just that this particular palmist happened to carry a maharajah's accreditation (and in a country that attaches huge importance to such interpretations that's no small thing). Whatever the reason, at the end of my visit to the fort I skipped the gift shop and headed for the royal fortune teller's office, hoping the Rs350 clutched in my right hand would liberate whatever secrets the lines around it had to say

Giving the guy only my name, date of birth, place of birth and right hand I sat back, somewhat skeptical, somewhat scarred, and suddenly aware that maybe I didn't want to know my future!

First came my character analysis.

"You're highly adaptable, analytical and intuitive" he said, turning my palm over and peering at the back of my hand. OK, I thought, we're off to a good start. Not only is he coming up with positive traits but also, I feel, pretty accurate ones. I start to listen attentively, my confidence and curiosity replacing the earlier fear and anxiety. "But you prize accuracy so you'll use your analytical skills to validate your initiative before making a decision, even if it takes more time" he observed. Yep. That's true too. What next?

"You hate conflict and discord; you want to make everyone happy" and with this phrase he hit a chord. A trait I'm unsure whether to classify as negative or positive from a professional perspective and one i'm hoping to learn how to play to my advantage as part of my 'change strategy' in 2010. Needless to say he now had my full attention.

I'll not bore you with all the wisdom that was imparted to me that day, but despite popular belief I am apparently going to get married and have kid(s) and should come into either money or property (both?) around the age of 39 or 40. I'll believe the later, but not the former! Around 39-40 I will also have an important and positive career change - so i'm probably now the only woman on earth excited about turning forty :-)

I also apparently don't like spicy food (which is crap, based on my definition of spicy), am re-energised by being outdoors and amongst nature (aren't we all?) and will meet my soul mate, who'll share my passion for travel and adventure, later in life (a phrase which leaves plenty of room for interpretation).

So there you have it, my destiny in a nutshell, or rather, the palm of my hand!

'Que sera sera' remains my take on all this. RDV back here in 5 years though to see if that cash, property and career change have made an appearance as predicted :-)

No comments: