Wednesday, November 04, 2009

A couple of nights in Nainital


By the time we'd snaked our way up the mountain and arrived in Nainital it was 7.30am and the town was starting to wake. The cycle-rickshaw drivers were pulling their blankets around them as they hussled for customers at the bus station and the shared taxi drivers were co-ordinating people into clumps based on their final destination.

Like many Indian hill stations Nainital is home to quite a few boarding schools, the parents and pupils of which were now pouring back into town for the return to school after Divali. I'd sat next to a school boy on the journey up and managed to squeeze a few phrases out of him in English.

Where are you from? " Gujarat" he said, "It's a long way from here." I know it! I replied, I'm hoping to go there soon, hoping to use this as a springboard for a conversation about his home state but he shrugged and looked down.
How old are you? I tried. " I am 9-years old" came the replied in textbook English before he turned and looked out of the window gloomily. This wasn't an easy conversation.
Do you like school? I said. "No, I HATE IT!!" it replied loudly looking straight at his father sat in the seat in front of us. Hmm, no wonder he's not such a happy chappy. As we nearer Nainital fat tears rolled down his cheeks and the last I saw of him he'd put his blanket over his head and was refusing to get out of the bus. Poor kid.


Rather than taking a shared taxi to the other end of the lake I walked along the shore watching the changing light on the water and the early morning mist receed up the hills as the air warmed. Nainital was a beautiful town that was becoming more and more popular with middle-class Indian's on their honeymoon and it was easy to see why.



I found myself a guesthouse, threw down my pack and after a quick wash headed back down to the waters edge and found myself a chai stand and some breakfast. My original plan had been to hole up in Nainital for a couple of days in order to quiz as many other trekkers and guides as I could before deciding which of the two glacier treks to the North i'd set my sights on. Of course Chris' verdict was fresh in my mind and I was now going to have to decide whether to heed his advise or ignore it. I'd come here to trek, my backpack was full of gore-tex clothing, thermal underwear and the Himalaya where just beyond that ridge. If I didn't trek what the hell else was I going to do here?

In most towns there is a cafe, restaurant or bakery that becomes the regular backpacker hang-out. There's usually a noticeboard where folks post recommendations and information and sitting around here for an hour or so will guarantee you'll meet someone and be able to start up a conversation. These places are usually a good place to find fellow trekkers as they're either preparing for their trek (look for a group huddled around a map, splitting up food and equipment between their backpacks and buying all the cookies and chocolate they can get their hands on) or they're just back from a trek (in which case they'll be the grubby group looking tired yet elated who have ordered every item on the menu, twice already!) I hug around the most likely looking cafe for an hour and didn't see another westerner. Hmm, i'm not in the right place I thought and wandered down the road a little to bakery that smelt great. By now it was 9.30am and place should have been buzzing with folks like me ordering banana porridge and omlettes but with the expection of a couple of newly-weds the place was deserted. Hmm, I knew this was the end of the trekking season but the weather was still great and all roads North were still open according to the sign outside the police station. Where was everyone?

There are only so many cups of chai you can drink in a morning so I left the strip of cafes along the shore and wandered about the backstreets and lanes behind the main street. The place was a hive of activity at this time of the morning and I spent a good hour watching the trading of fruits, vegetables, meats and grains before I realised i'd not seen a fishmonger in town. How strange given that we're next to a giant lake thats obviously teaming with fish as you can see them below the water! Obviously there was either something wrong with the water or the lake was sacred and so the fish couldn't be eaten. I never did find out which it was but my money would be on the former rather than the later.



After a while I found the office of the mountain guides association that the Lonely Planet was recommending, and inside I met Rik, a yound but obviously knowledgeable guide who was able to answer all the questions about the two treks I'd read about, and even advise some interesting alternatives to the standard route in some place.


"So Rik, where are all the other trekkers?" I asked, having a sneaking feeling I'd know his response.
" It's after Divali now and the shepherds have come down from the hills so the season is pretty much over already" he replied.

With Divali being so early this year it seems the shephers had taken the opportunity to come down off the hills a couple of weeks earlier than expected. Especially as the monsoon had been poor and so the grazing on the hills was not great.

Rik assured me that if I really wanted to trek he'd organise a couple of mules, tents and food enough to enable us to do any of the treks I wasnted, but I didn't want to trek with him alone, not only from a safety perspetive but also from an enjoyment and cost perspective as its always better when you can share the experience and cost with a couple of others.


So, it seemed the odds were staked up against me doing any trekking on this trip and whether I liked it or not I was going to be following Chris' advise and resting up for a couple of days. Oh well, I thought. There could be worse places to spend a couple of days than Nainital I thought, sitting back in my chair, pulling out my book and ordering a hot masala chai as I looked out over the lake.

No comments: